[MEncoder-users] Copy h.264 video into avi

Lukas Österreicher lukas.oesterreicher at inode.at
Fri May 25 12:02:51 CEST 2007

> aslan at gmx.at wrote:
>> I have a (actually many) transport stream file that contain h.264 video and ac3 audio.
>> It is hard to work with these files as there is hardly any software
>> for it - and the software that exists isn't mature.

> It's really simple if you use mkv instead of avi.

> mplayer -dumpfile stream.264 -dumpvideo source.ts
> mplayer -dumpfile stream.ac3 -dumpaudio source.ts (possibly with -aid X
> for a specific audio stream)

> then use mkvmerge (cli) or mmg (gui); specify the correct framerate for
> the .264 stream and add the audio and you're done.

I need to edit the resulting video afterwards,
and there are no (good) tools for that format (at least I don't know
any).
I have even to confirm that the audio synchronisation is not
broken in that process.

VirtualDubMod is the only one I know but that has been
abandoned and has a far too old mkv format implementation.

mencoder can convert to avi while copying streams,
but it doesnt set the keyframe information right (
at least as far as I have tried with
mencoder source.ts -oac copy -ovc copy -demuxer lavf -of avi -o dest.avi
maybe I am missing an option?)