[MEncoder-users] help with old divx for linux codec, please?

Reimar Doeffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed May 23 10:03:58 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 02:24:38PM +0100, Dieter wrote:
> > Bugreports with backtraces, please.
>
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2006-March/008436.html
>
> Putting in an ugly hack to avoid calling memset() with a negative length
> prevents the crash.  Probably not the best way to fix it.

That was fixed on 9. Feb this year. Even if you can't provide a sample,
not even replying to a developer requesting something guarantees being
ignored, I usually don't bother with bugreport when the one reporting
does not bother to reply, there are always enough other bugs.

> The bad input is of course copyrighted, attempts to cut out a small
> enough piece to be considered fair use didn't get very far.
>
> I still got seg faults from some other bug after "fixing" this one.
>
> While some of the ffmpeg developers were helpful. others were ... not.
> I got fed up, unsubscribed and switched to working on other problems
> where I could actually make some progress.

A bit problem is that if you're new to ffmpeg you are almost certain to
fix it the wrong way, only removing the symptoms instead of the real
bug. That's why a way to reproduce the problem is so important,
guessing where a bug is hiding is no fun.

Greetings,
Reimar Doeffinger