[MEncoder-users] help with old divx for linux codec, please?

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed May 23 01:13:37 CEST 2007

Dieter wrote:
>>> Ffmpeg complains a lot about the mpeg4 output from mencoder.
>> Considering that mencoder outputs mpeg4 encoded by libavcodec,
>> I find your statement dubious. Have you submitted a bugreport?
>
> Probably not.  Back when I was working on this I was more concerned
> with the crashes than the mere complaints.

[mess cut out]

> It goes on like this for awhile, then settles down and grinds away quietly.

That shouldn't be happening, needless to say, and I don't think anyone
else is having that problem.

> Often, when it hits the end, it will seek back and keep going.  No clue why
> it would do this.  This only happens with the mencoder generated mpeg4,
> not with the OTA mpeg2ts.

You ought to submit:
(1) A source video (or provide a link to a publicly available one).
(2) Your encoded video that causes such error messages.
(3) Your full mencoder command line.
(4) The full output of mencoder when encoding.
(5) The usual system details, etc.

>>> I don't know if the problem is with mencoder or ffmpeg or both.
>>> I don't recall seeing it crash.
>>>
>>> Ffmpeg does crash from bad mpeg2ts input.  At least 2 different
>>> problems resulting in seg fault and at least 1 floating point
>>> exception.
>> Bugreports with backtraces, please.
>
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2006-March/008436.html
>
> Putting in an ugly hack to avoid calling memset() with a negative length
> prevents the crash.  Probably not the best way to fix it.
>
> The bad input is of course copyrighted, attempts to cut out a small
> enough piece to be considered fair use didn't get very far.
>
> I still got seg faults from some other bug after "fixing" this one.
>
> While some of the ffmpeg developers were helpful. others were ... not.
> I got fed up, unsubscribed and switched to working on other problems
> where I could actually make some progress.

I see only one response to the message in the URL you posted: Mans
asking for a sample. If you couldn't provide a sample, then you can't
really blame anybody for not looking at your report further. Of course,
you could be referring to a different thread in which ffmpeg developers
were unhelpful, but I don't see any evidence of that here.

Anyway, if you can re-try extracting a small sample, or get more
comfortable about uploading a larger sample to mplayerhq's private ftp
(I have no idea how much is fair use), somebody might be able to help you.

-Corey