[MEncoder-users] Prefereble CPU for mencoder ffmpeg.

Reimar Doeffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue May 22 22:31:01 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 09:31:26PM +0200, Jay Ess wrote:
> What is the prefereble CPU (AMD or Intel) and environment (32bit or 64bit linux)
> for mencoder and ffmpeg?
> Faster == better with no regard for performance per $$$.
> The workload is mostly 3gp and it is coded into flv with mp3 sound.

Avoid anything NetBurst-based (P4, Xeon) like the plague. If you do not
need binary codecs, 64 bit can be considerably faster.
If there are server variants of the Core2 processors with large caches
might probably be best, but I doubt Opterons will be too much behind.
Importance of cache size of course depends on video size and how many
conversions you have running at once. That also influences if multi-core
or in case of AMD in addition multiple sockets and thus memory busses
are useful.

Greetings,
Reimar Doeffinger