[MEncoder-users] Encoding png frames to DV

Joey Parrish joey.parrish at gmail.com
Sat May 12 18:44:42 CEST 2007

On 5/11/07, nick hatch <nicholas.hatch at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've run into a problem trying to encode high-quality rendered PNG frames
> into a format suitable for editing.
>
> I've been fighting with mencoder for days to find a way to combine these
> frames with minimal quality loss for editing in Final Cut, with the final
> goal of DVD authoring. Everything I try results in color dithering and
> banding which I suspect is from the RGB ---> YUV conversion. This results in
> images that are barely acceptable for anaglyph convergence.
>
> Any ideas? I'm really starting to get frustrated with this one, I'm sure
> there must be some sort of solution, and it's probably easy.
> I've even tried doing the color conversion using Imagemagick, but haven't
> found a good interchangeable format. I'd really appreciate tips or pointers.

Search the docs, perhaps, and try to find a codec that uses the RGB
colorspace.  That might help your color correctness problem if the
colorspace conversion is the culprit.  You should also try lossless
codecs or something very nearly-lossless to avoid color degredation
during encoding.

Try this:

mplayer mf://*.png -vf scale,format=yv12,scale

This will playback the png files and will force the colors to first be
converted through yv12.  If this looks okay, then colorspace is not
your problem.  Try higher bitrate or lossless codec.

--Joey