[MEncoder-users] Problem with MPEG2 on standalone DVD player

Sylvia Else sylviaw74 at cryogenic.net
Fri May 11 07:28:02 CEST 2007

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 09:40:47AM +0300, Gennady Ovcharov wrote:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I'm having problem to play in my standalone DVD player (Panasonic S49)
 > a mpeg2 file made with mencoder.
 > On TV screen I see appearance "light green square blocks".
 > If I see mpeg2 file on my computer with mplayer - all fine.

I was having a most similar problem, and also with a Panasonic DVD player
(mine's an S27).

I eventually found in the Mencoder documentation for lavcopts, paragraph
14.8.3.2

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-vcd-dvd.html#menc-feat-vcd-dvd-lavc-options

the observation that "vstrict: vstrict=0 should be used to create DVDs.
Without this option, MEncoder creates a stream that cannot be correctly
decoded by some standalone DVD players."

I've added the vstrict option, and the problem appears to have gone away.
At least, in a couple of specific places where the problem occurred
repeatably (i.e., with repeated encodings using different bit rates), the
problem is no longer apparent.

Sylvia.