[MEncoder-users] Encoding filters

infernix infernix at infernix.net
Thu May 10 18:03:26 CEST 2007

Justin Randall wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am trying to give up my dependency for the excellent AviSynth
> (because I want to stop using Windows) for video pre-processing.

I've been using avs2yuv with avisynth on wine with great success. I
haven't encountered any filters I cannot use, but in terms of input
plugins, getting DirectShowSource to work can be tricky; try the latest
wine releases (although I am still on 0.9.30, using avs2yuv to output to
fifos and mencoder using those as inputs is broken in 0.9.36).
Mpeg2source, avcsource and avisource are not much of a problem.

I too would love to completely replace avisynth, but there's quite a lot
that avisynth is capable of that isn't possible with mencoders filters.

That said, the basics are not much of an issue, as already pointed out.

There's one interesting sidenote:

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2006-October/004799.html

If, in some obscure way, I could feed mencoder the .avs scripts
directly, that would really be nice, but I haven't managed to get that
working.

Google for avs2yuv ;)