[MEncoder-users] Bug: floating point exception when converting to DV

Levente Novák lnovak at dragon.unideb.hu
Tue May 8 00:02:20 CEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-05-05 at 00:17 -0500, bugfood-ml at fatooh.org wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 21:15 -0700, Corey Hickey wrote:
> > What you said is interesting: as Ffmpeg (using the same lavf) does
> > encode to DV rather well, maybe there are some subtle differences in how
> > this lavf is used or the switches passed to it. In contrast to MEncoder
> > where you have to provide these switches yourself, Ffmpeg does it quite
> > transparently: by setting -target dv a bunch of optimal parameters are
> > automagically set. BTW how could one dump the lavc/lavf parameters
> > either Ffmpeg or MEncoder use while perfoming a given action?
>
> Within mencoder, the interface to lavc and the interface to lavf are
> separated, and the connection between them is not perfect (hence the
> reason for the_longest_mencoder_option_in_existence, and other bugs like
> this one). I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "dump[ing] the lavc/lavf
> parameters", but if you mean what I think you mean, then the only way I
> know of would be to use a debugger to examine the relevant information
> stored in the structures lavc and lavf use. ...which is more or less what
> I've been doing.
>
> > I will try your patch with different files/streams/switches during the
> > weekend, maybe something will be of help.
>
> Ok. Let me know if you find anything interesting; as I mentioned, however,
> I won't be able to work on anything for several days.
>
> -Corey

With mplayer pulled from SVN last week, it "worked" like for you
(Insufficient audio data or severe sync problem) on i386 and ppc (Debian
GNU/Linux testing). Only every 14th or so frame was present in the dv
file, the others were discarded.

Now, with today's SVN and your patch applied, it does not work again,
got the same

[dv @ 0x87557c8]Can't initialize DV format!
Make sure that you supply exactly two streams:
     video: 25fps or 29.97fps, audio: 2ch/48Khz/PCM
     (50Mbps allows an optional second audio stream)
Floating point exception

problem than originally (last week, before applying your patch).

Why doesn't it work now even with your patch?

Levente