[MEncoder-users] Motion-Compensation Deinterlacer

Justin Randall jrrandall at gmail.com
Wed May 2 01:35:47 CEST 2007

On 5/1/07, Jorge Fábregas <jfabregas at onelinkpr.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 May 2007 6:17 pm, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> > why don't you try just crop=704:480:0:0,yadif=0,scale=640:480 to begin
> > with and next switch to another combination if you don't like the result?
>
> Because I like what I saw here for the yadif & mcdeint:
>
> http://guru.multimedia.cx/deinterlacing-filters/
>
> Going back to my question: how much fps you get while encoidng using yadif &
> mcdeint?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Jorge

Hi Jorge,

To answer your question, yes I get around 1 fps using this method. It
has always worked quite well for me though, so I figured it would be
worth the wait. Mencoder has many many great options and it takes a
long time to figure out what ones are best for you. Guillaume has
pointed you in the right direction with the multipass. Just one pass
encode at an extremely high bit rate, then do a two pass with no
filters on your initial output. If you run mplayer with mplayer -vf
cropdetect dvd:// then you'll know exactly what to crop out, the
parameters I gave you were for a generic NTSC full screen 4:3 source,
yours may be different!  You can also do a variable bit rate encoding
for the mp3 audio, so that you can save even more space. Good luck.

Justin