[MEncoder-users] ivtc using mencoder

Late Date latedate at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 17:52:49 CEST 2007

Thanks again for the help, Mike.

I seem to have something that's at least usable.  Here's the command I used:

mencoder 24p000.m2t -vf pullup -ofps 24000/1001 -oac copy -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=24000000:aspect=16/9 -o output.mpg

I wonder if I have the "correct" bitrate setting.  The original bitrate was:
25000.0 kbps (3125.0 kbyte/s)

mencoder's maximum allowable bitrate is "only" 24000000 hence I went with
that.  Here's what's reported by mplayer when I play the new output.mpg:

16384.9 kbps (2000.1 kbyte/s)

Is there any way I can "bump up" that bitrate :-)

I am guessing that this question will pop up a lot in the near future.
Maybe not so much on this forum, but it in the various AV forums.  The new
Canon HV20 just came out (and I just bought it *before* finding out about
this) and this seems to me like a real problem for 24P processing.  Having
to pulldown and reencode the original in order to get at the "true 24P"
seems to me (a novice, I admit) like a lossy operation.  I imagine I will
have to dump it into a raw stream; if I do that, will I suffer any loss in
picture quality?

Chris