[MEncoder-users] WMV, problem with Windows Media Player

totob at libero.it totob at libero.it
Wed Mar 28 15:57:24 CEST 2007

Hello everybody,

I am trying to convert some flv files to wmv with codec wmv1/wmv2. I am using the following command:

mencoder in.flv -o out.wmv -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=wmv2:acodec=mp3 -vf scale=320:240

When i try to open the video in Windows Media player, it appears a message telling me that the format of the file doesnt correspond to its extension. When i click ok to this message the  video is played well anyway.

In order to specify the format of video, I add the option -of lavf -i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames. When opening the resulting video WMP doesnt give me the message anymore but when playing the video in some points it gets stuck with one or more frames. The audio goes on well but  some frames last for 6-7 seconds so that the video is totally bad.

What do i do wrong in this command:
mencoder in.flv -o out.wmv -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=wmv2:acodec=mp3 -of lavf -lavfopts i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames

Why does video get stuck?
Thanks everybody!