[MEncoder-users] Solution: transcoding from MKV(AC3+H264) to anything keeping AC3 soundtrack

Pierre Grimaud pieroxy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 14:18:05 CEST 2007

On 3/27/07, Matthias Hopf <mat at mshopf.de> wrote:

> On Mar 27, 07 10:43:23 +0200, Pierre Grimaud wrote:
> > I have finally found a solution to this problem. As it turn out, it is
> > mencoder's muxer that is at fault (AFAIK).
>
> Must be the demuxer, as this issue only occurs when transcoding mkv
> files.

> > 3. remux with mkvtoolnix-gui. There, you got it. Of course, that is an
> MKV
> > file.
> > 3bis. I've heard reports of success remuxing with avimux on windows.
> That
> > can give a nice AVI file.
> Using VirtualDub for that. I think I already wrote that to the mailing
> list...

Then again, if avimux, VDub and mkvtoolnix can mux these streams, it might
not be a demuxer-only problem  ... Maybe the demuxer (both mkvextract and
mplayer's one) put some unexpected info in the streams (Presumably's the AC3
stream as the h264 can be muxed with MP3 just fine) and mencoder's muxer is
getting confused by it.

Can I put a sample online somewhere so that people can try it out? Just
wondering...

--pieroxy