[MEncoder-users] Experiences of video encoding

Nicolas George nicolas.george at ens.fr
Mon Mar 26 19:16:05 CEST 2007

Le sextidi 6 germinal, an CCXV, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski a écrit :
> Well, using constant quantizer is not a good way to test real-world
> codec quality IMHO. Most people I know encode at certain target bitrate
> and so do I, which makes this comparison of less interest to me.

For the use I have of video encoding, setting the quality seems more
relevant than setting the bitrate. For example, I do not see any reason to
have better quality for movies in 2.35 than for movies in 1.85, which would
be the case if I select the same bitrate for both. Other people have
certainly other needs.

The comparison may probably yet be of some interest to you: as far as I
understand, the quantizer is the parameter that really drives the encoding.
Bitrate management consists in adjusting the quantizer to get the requested
bitrate. Since my metrics work purely on a frame-by-frame basis, if some set
of codec and parameters performs better on a wide interval of quantizers,
then it will perform better with managed bitrates in the same domain.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George