[MEncoder-users] Video and Audio async

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Wed Mar 21 03:19:56 CET 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: tobiasbrockamp at gmx.de

> i'm a newbie to mencoder. I'm trying to encode uncompressed avi-files
to an avi
> with xvid and mp3lame.

  mencoder input.avi -ovc xvid -oac mp3lame -xvidencopts bitrate=300 -mc
0 -ofps 25 -o output.avi

What's the source fps?  I've seen stuff like this when I used the wrong
fps.  You probably don't need to specify it.  Are you using a 2 pass?
XviD is usually  like this, seperating the audio and video passes:

mencoder input.avi -oac mp3lame -ovc -copy -mc 0 -ofps 25 -o output.avi

mencoder input.avi -oac copy -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1:turbo -mc 0
-ofps 25 -o output.avi

mencoder input.avi -oac copy -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=2:bitrate=300
-mc 0 -ofps 25 -o output.avi

This keeps from running the same mp3lame 2 times.  Speeds up overall
times.  Also, why such a low bitrate?  If theres any kind of movement,
a 512 or 768 may give better quality.

Good luck.