[MEncoder-users] Videos with fps 1000.000

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 17:55:41 CET 2007

On 3/19/07, Dieter <freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com> wrote:
> > Your output file is WMV!!!! WMV does not have a framerate. The 1000 is
> > just a fake framerate reported by MPlayer.
>
> Okay, I'll bite.  How do you know how to playback a video with no framerate?

Tell me if im wrong, but heres my educated guess:

As a WMV can have 1000fps, it seems the format has a timing accuracy of 1ms.
Simply put, it seems there is a specific delay calculated between
frames, in terms of milliseconds, that the decoder outputs based on
the same 1ms timer.
This ends up being very useful for internet streaming: you want 1
stream that has a hard-limit of 300kbit/s but the framrate can vary
based on compression complexity. Higher FPS / smoother playback if the
bits allow, or much slower playback if there is quite a lot of
motion/noise.  This is a moot point with regards to anything except
streaming, with exactly 1 possible current use: varying 24frame and
60field/second (deinterlaced with an fps preserving function such as
-vf yadif=1)  CG animation.

Mike