[MEncoder-users] mplayer window blank on TV set hooked to laptop

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Wed Mar 7 00:04:04 CET 2007

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 23:01, Tomasz Ksiezyk wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. Unfortunately, I don't know enough
> about chipsets and drivers to make use of the hint you gave me. The
> video chipset on my laptop is ATI RAGE Mobility-P (DELL). I don't know
> how to proceed in order to configure its driver in a way you described.
> Can I do it interactively via available XP GUI tools?

Most probably. You need to set the television as your primary display. That
way, it will draw the hardware overlay on that display. I can't imagine
that won't work with ATI cards.

> I would appreciate
> further help. Maybe you give me a link to a web site where I could study
> this topic.

Perhaps you could google on ati hardware overlay second monitor or
something.

> In the meantime, I have discovered that when I disable the video
> adapter, then the only monitor is the TV set and then the mplayer window
> shows the video OK. It is inconvenient to have to switch back and forth
> between enable / disable, but at least I can now watch my movies on the
> TV as before with Windows 2000.

This is definitely a sign of the hardware overlay only working on one
display at the time. Sorry I can't give you an exact pointer. I have
neither an ATI card, nor Windows XP.

--Ivo