[MEncoder-users] MPEG2 quality

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Tue Mar 6 17:15:29 CET 2007

Konrad Dubiel wrote:
> > These are the options suggested by the docs of MPlayer/MEncoder
> > (encoding guide), which are supposed to _increase_ the quality.
>
> According to manual they should improve quality. I did not see
> it however. Using these options doesn't reduce visible macroblocks.

Doing a two-pass encode with mbd=2, trell and v4mv should give
you quality barely distinguishable from the source, assuming you
select a high-enough bitrate. You may want to try using nr=100
if the source is noisy. An average bitrate of somewhere between
1600 and 4000 is sufficient for most things targeting mpeg2.
Those other options are for mages.