[MEncoder-users] Problems with aspect ratio

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Thu Mar 1 18:36:21 CET 2007

I've run into something strange with mencoder.  I usually encode in 3
seperate passes.

First pass:  mencoder file.avi -alang en -oac copy -ovc xvid
-xvidencopts pass=1:turbo -ofps 120000/1001 -o file-copy-xvid-1.avi

Second pass:  mencoder file.avi -alang en -oac copy -ovc xvid
-xvidencopts pass=2:bitrate=6144 -ofps 120000/1001 -o
file-copy-xvid-2.avi

Third pass:  mencoder file-copy-xvid-2.avi -alang en -oac mp3lame -ovc
copy -ofps 120000/1001 -o file-done.avi

However, for some reason, when I do the third pass, mencoder changes
the aspect ration from either the normal 1.33:1 or 1.78:1 to 1.50:1.
This creates an extra set of black bars(one a little brighter then the
other) on 1.78:1 movies and it crops 1.33:1 movies shorter.  I added
-aspect "16:9" to the command line, but it didn't help.

I do it this way because sometimes the audio ends up larger.  Also, 3
passes helps to keep from wasting processing power since you aren't
re-encoding the audio 2 times.  If I re-encode the audio first, the
video is fine.

Thanx.