[MEncoder-users] impossible dvd encode? a/v sync problem

Everett everettraygun at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 01:13:30 CEST 2007

I have a dvd (samurai jack: season 1) that I would like to rip so
that I can watch it on my computer.  Eventually, I would like to
rip it so that I can watch it on my ipod, but for now, I'd settle
for any format/video codec/audio codec that had proper a/v sync.

notes on the dvd:  some of the titles are constant 30000/1001 fps,
but several of them jump back and forth between 30000/1001 and
24000/1001.  those are the ones that I can't get to sync no matter
what.

I have exhaustively searched the documentation--  here are some
things that I tried:

with and without -vf pullup,softskip,harddup,softpulldown, etc.
with and without -vf yadif
with and without -ofps 24000/1001, 30000/1001
I tried every combination of the above three strategies I could
think of: in other words, encoding as progressive.  encoding as
interlaced.  encoding as progressive with deinterlacing
filter.  encoding as mixed progressive/telecine. encoding as mixed
progressive/telecine with deinterlacing.  I realize that not all of
those options make sense, I wanted to try everything.
(obsessed!  ;) )
I tried -ofps 25 to see if that would help.
I tried -mc 0 and -noskip (I am aware that -noskip wouldn't have
worked, I tried anyway (didn't work)).
I tried encoding first to -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=ffv1 -oac pcm
just to see if encoding first to lossless video and audio would
sync the audio, then I could re-encode to compressed.  (didn't
work).
I used the -audio-delay option to sync up the first part of the
video, but then the rest of the video went steadily out of sync.

I have thought of re-muxing into mkv and using the -y (sync) option
to stretch out the audio, but that's going to take a lot of trial
and error and I don't want to deal with that.  besides, that will
only be a kludgy kind of solution, I would much rather just get the
a/v sync on the original encode.

Has anyone worked this out?  does anyone have any ideas?  I have
given up for now.  The dvd plays with mplayer just fine, great in
fact.  I guess the constant framerate limitation of avi is the main
problem?  I have also tried to use the libavcodec mp4 muxing with
bad results, including the i_certify_no_b_frames_etc.  with
bframes=0 on the encode.  I don't know if mp4 has that limitation
or not.

Thanks to anyone who can help.  Even if it is impossible, it would
help me to have that confirmed!  so that I can give up without
reservation hahaha.