[MEncoder-users] How to convert mkv to mkv?

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Jun 28 17:34:27 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 15:09:46 +0200, Carlo Wood wrote:
> Yes, I found that (even before I mailed the first time) on the net;
> and then I tried to find what to pass to mencoder to use mpeg4, but
> I cannot find it.

Mencoder doesn't support MPEG4 containers natively, but uses
libavformat to create them.
-of lavf -lavfopts format=mp4

> I tried mp4, mpeg4 and a bunch of other things - but it always says:

Did you search the man page for "mp4"? There are only four occurrences,
and this is the fourth one. :)

> Also, I read that H.264 had extensions that go beyond mpeg4, so
> I am confused :/. I want those extensions, of course. Is there
> anything else wrong with my commandline?

Are you confusing container format and codec now? If you're encoding
into Matroska (a container format), you should ignore the above. :-)

HTH,
Moritz