[MEncoder-users] Problem with EDL

Fluxid fluxid at o2.pl
Tue Jun 26 18:50:20 CEST 2007

Dnia 25-06-2007 o 22:59:05 The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> napisał:

> Yes, the OSD does show a progress bar based on total file length.
> However, there are two limitations to that.
>
> The more relevant is that, while with most files MPlayer can get some
> idea of how long the file is, it can easily be *wrong* - particularly if
> the container lies about the file's length (which can happen more easily
> than you might think). It seems entirely possible that the length
> MPlayer thinks the file has is different from the actual length of the
> file. (As I posted somewhere recently, I've had 3-minute files reported
> as 17 minutes and unknown-but-much-longer files reported as 10 minutes.)
>
> Less relevant to the point at hand is that you may notice that on some
> files, the OSD "progress bar" is empty at all times and never progresses
> towards full; on those files, MPlayer simply has no idea of what the
> total time is.
>

> Whether or not this has direct bearing on your problem I don't know, but
> I would expect it to be the case.

So i would propose few things:
1. parameter -maxskip to limit skipping in cases like this
    (or just make -endpos working)
2. extend edl files, so if ending time of skipped block is zero (or lower
    than beginning), it'll skip all the rest
3. extend edl files to skip frames instead of seconds (for example
    "300.3" will mean 300.3 seconds, and "300f" will mean 300 frames - it
    should be more precise, and easier... But mplayer don't show frame
    numbers in OSD. But it can, since mplayer is counting frames for some
    subtitle formats (?))
4. there is parameter -frames: what about seeking to frame? (it would be
    useful if somebody don't want to create edl files) Something like this:
    	-seektoframe 700 -frames 100
    will get frames beginning at 700 (inclusive) and ending at 800

What do you think? (I don't have time now to mess with code, but maybe..)