[MEncoder-users] Audio longer than video

Gary Mort gm-enc at saplings.us
Sat Jun 16 13:48:26 CEST 2007

When I convert a WMV file(containing version 8 video and version 9
audio) to Flash, I keep getting the last 5 seconds of the video truncated.

Now, the video consists of still pictures grabbed from a seperate video,
and during the recording the stills are marked up to instruct the user.

What I think is happening is the guy making the video starts with a
blank screen, and 5 seconds in inserts his first video picture.

So when mencoder runs, I'm guessing it skips to the first non blank part
of the video and syncs that to the beginning of the audio.  And when the
video ends, the last 5 seconds of audio get lost.

Is there any way to tell mencoder that I want the whole audio converted
or not to skip the blank into in the video?  Is my guess right on why
this would happen?(if you view the video in Windows Media Player, it
will show the first image at the beginning of the movie and play to the
end.  However, if I use VLC to play it I do see an opening blank screen
while the guy is yammering.  Which is making it hard to convince the guy
that he is doing anything wrong.)

-Gary