[MEncoder-users] Pulsating I-frames (keyint)

Nicolas Hesler nicolas.hesler at sheridanc.on.ca
Fri Jun 15 23:08:31 CEST 2007

RC wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:27:03 -0400
> Nicolas Hesler <nicolas.hesler at sheridanc.on.ca> wrote:
>

>> does any of this info offer any clues?
>>

> None at all.  It seems quite contradictory.

To describe the pulsating in a little more detail:  It isn't the entire
frame that is pulsating but rather certain granular areas (consisting of
detailed texture).   The pulsating is especially more visible toward the
edges of the frame (almost linearly more pulsation from the center out
toward the edges) and more visible in darker color areas.  The
pulsating, as I mentioned before occurs on I frames (varying keyint,
varies the pulse frequency).    I assume that those settings succeed in
reducing the flashing because they soften the picture.