[MEncoder-users] Choppy video when changing framerate

Stanley stanleyhuangyc at yahoo.com.cn
Thu Jun 14 19:54:47 CEST 2007

Manuel Carro wrote:
>     Using the -ofps option makes the video to definitely look choppy.
> And it is not a question of the player itself: the same video (after
> reducing the framerate) looks choppy when using mplayer, xine, totem,
> etc.  I assume that, to go e.g. from 25 to 20 (my current benchmark)
> -ofps could remove one out of each five frames.  But, when playing
> back, it looks as if those removals were not happening evenly, but
> rather in groups every second or so.  I do not think mencoder is doing
> that (is it?).  Any hint of what could be the problem (and the
> solution)?

I have the same feeling too. The video does look choppy more or less
after changing FPS, especially reducing FPS a little bit (e.g. 25fps to
24fps).
I think this is somehow unavoidable without rendering all frames again
which will bring much computation. As the interval of frames changes,
the content of frames must be changed in order to look really smooth.

Stanley