[MEncoder-users] Choppy video when changing framerate

Manuel Carro mcarro at fi.upm.es
Thu Jun 14 12:20:11 CEST 2007

James, thanks for your answer.

>> It's smooth enough for the target audience I think.

Ahem... the target audience is me.  Don't you like The Tweenies?

Now, seriously, I chose that clip because the objects moving in the
background can be clearly seen.  It's not that the target audience
will only be preschool kids.  Actually, for my preschool children I
have another player whose screen is smaller and of maybe lower
quality, but which is able to play 25 fps, so it's ok for most videos
I have ripped.

>> As an alternative you could try -vf decimate.

    Already did (with decimate=1, decimate=-5, and decimate=-4, adding
softskip as well).  No noticeable change.

>> what you're really looking for though is avisynth FPS capabilities:
>> http://avisynth.org/FPS

    Probably.  I was having a look at other alternatives, AviSyinth
being one of them.  I did not try AviSyinth because I did not find a
ready-made package for Ubuntu.  Yes, I can download the sources and
compile, but AFAIU AviSynth was a Windows-oriented product which only
recently (with AviSynth 3) is being rewritten to compile & run also on
Linux.  If I am mistaken, I'd love to be corrected.

    On the other hand, last night I found that transcode does provide
a smooth framerate change.  I am trying to get transcode's audio
options right.

Thanks!

        MCL (mcarro_at_fi_dot_upm_dot_es)