[MEncoder-users] Choppy video when changing framerate

Manuel Carro mcarro at fi.upm.es
Wed Jun 13 23:37:09 CEST 2007

Again, thanks for your answer.

>> The output of mencoder encoding with -ofps 20 clearly shows it's
>> properly dropping a single frame at a time no more than one every 10th
>> of a second, not multiple once as you believe.
>>
>> Playing back your encoded file, I don't see any problems at all.
>> Converting from 25 to 20 fps will never be pefect, but it looks as
>> good as it possibly could, an plays quite smooth, both foreground and
>> background objects.

I have no reason to distrust you, but, to me, it does show some small
'jumps', easily noticeable in objects which are moving at constant
speed.  Maybe this is all one can expect from dropping 1 frame out of
each group of 5, but, intuitively, I expected removing 1 frame every 2
tenths of a second to be smoother.  Maybe I'll check the dropping
generating jpeg pictures for every frame and comparing them to
understand better how it is performing the framerate change.

If, as you say, mencoder is doing what it should, does mencoder
provide any way to sort of interpolate frames around the missing ones?
I.e., for each group of 5 we take the initial one as it is initially,
and the rest are generated using the ones before and after that one
(giving an appropriate weight to every one of them).

>> And when you want to post a reply, you should click "reply" not
>> compose a new e-mail with a similar subject.  If you are unable to do
>> so for some reason, you can respond via gmane instead.  And CCing
>> people on a mailing list so that they get 2 copies is just irritating.

    Sorry about that.  Both are, obviously, my fault.

Best regards,

        MCL (mcarro_at_fi_dot_upm_dot_es)