[MEncoder-users] Two audio-related problems with mencoder (dev-SVN-r23550-3.3.4)

Federico Zema Federico.Zema at cern.ch
Wed Jun 13 19:40:35 CEST 2007

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, Joey Parrish wrote:

> On 6/13/07, Federico Zema <Federico.Zema at cern.ch> wrote:
>
> > mencoder demo_maestri.mpg -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts
> > autoaspect:vcodec=mpeg4: acodec=mp2:vpass=1 -o demo_maestri.avi
> > -frames 1000 -v
>
> If you use -oac mp3lame, this will not happen.  -oac lavc is broken. I'd
> love it if somebody could fix it.  I reported this ages ago and nothing
> has happened yet.

Hi,
 indeed it does not happen with mp3lame, thanks a lot!

I suppose both mp3lame and lavc with acodec=mp3 use lame, don't they? Thus
there should be no noticeable difference in the output regarding quality
(provided similar encoding option are specified); what about portability?

Btw, I did a few more tests with "-oac lavc", and I always got the same
problem, independently of which audio codec I chose, but not for mpg
files! This command works fine:

mencoder demo_maestri-orig.mpg -o demo_maestri.mpg \
    -of mpeg -mpegopts format=mpeg1:tsaf \
    -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts autoaspect:vcodec=mpeg1video:acodec=mp2

 Cheers
 Federico