[MEncoder-users] Compatibility with QuickTime player

Alex Song songqf9 at yahoo.ca
Mon Jun 11 19:22:17 CEST 2007

Hello,

My friend has a video clip captured through a camera
and it's in quicktime mov format. He wanted me to
rotate the video and he'd like to play it in quicktime
player. So I did

mencoder -vf rotate=2 P6070166.MOV -o mjpeg.mov -oac
pcm -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg -of lavf
-lavfopts
format=mov:i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames

But there's only audio with quicktime player. I tried
different video codecs but none of them worked.

I then tried different combinations of container
format avi, mov with video codec mjpeg, mpeg4,
mpeg2video. The only thing worked for me is avi +
mjpeg with quicktime player.

It seemed I cannot use other audio codecs because the
sample rate is a pretty weird value 7865Hz.

I suspect this is because the video tag is not set
properly for quicktime player since both mplayer and
vlc player can play these streams without problems.

My mencoder is 1.0rc1-4.1.1 and my quicktime player is
7.1.3.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot,

Alex