[MEncoder-users] 2 pass encoding with vp6vfw.dll?

Jaime Villarreal jesusjaime at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 23:11:43 CEST 2007

Hi I'm not sure about the correct method for doing two pass encoding.

I am running mplayer and mencode in Linux. After following these instructions,
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-video-for-windows.html
I am finally able to do single pass encoding with something like this:

"mencoder mymovie.avi -o personal.flv -ovc vfw -xvfwopts
codec=vp6vfw.dll:compdata=onepass.mcf -nosound -vf
yadif,scale=320:240,flip -of lavf -lavfopts
i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames"

It works!!! Yeah mencoder!
I know I shouldn't be greedy but the site also says you can do 2 pass
encoding. I used vfw2menc to create firstpass.mcf and seconfpass.mcf
and then tried running the same command twice:

"mencoder mymovie.avi -o personal.flv -ovc vfw -xvfwopts
codec=vp6vfw.dll:compdata=firstpass.mcf -nosound -vf
yadif,scale=320:240,flip -of lavf -lavfopts
i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames"

"mencoder mymovie.avi -o personal.flv -ovc vfw -xvfwopts
codec=vp6vfw.dll:compdata=secondpass.mcf -nosound -vf
yadif,scale=320:240,flip -of lavf -lavfopts
i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames"

On the second pass the terminal freezes up before beginning to encode.

Thanks.