[MEncoder-users] B-frames and GOP with MPEG-2 for DVD

Nicolas Hesler nicolas.hesler at sheridanc.on.ca
Fri Jun 8 22:38:28 CEST 2007

Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Nicolas Hesler wrote:

>>> The curious thing about the skipping frames is
>>> that my input is exactly 24fps (not 23.976) and my output is 23.976.  If
>>> you take the difference (0.024 x the seconds where it was skipping
>>> frames, you end up with almost exact integers of 2,4,6, etc.) any ideas
>>> on that?
>>>

>> I've just completed another test on a longer video to confirm my
>> findings.  Ok, So If you take the exact frame location where the frame
>> was skipped and divide it by the incoming frame rate (exactly 24fps (not
>> 23.976...)) and then multiply that by the difference in frame rate
>> between the input (24) and the output (24000/1001), you end up with
>> exact integers (2,3,4,5,6,7), although sometimes it does not report
>> skipping a frame at a given integer (see below...it doesn't report at 6,
>> 8, 11, 13). Another number that is recurrent is the difference between
>> skipped frames which is usually 1001 frames.  This must all somehow make
>> sense.  But I don't know how.  Anyone?
>>

> it's pretty basic arithmethics with - probably - some added rounding error.
> Why don't you remove -ofps and use -mpegopts
> :tele_src=24:tele_dest=3000/1001 ?

I get the following message when using tele_src and tele_dest.  I assume
it isn't supported in my version of mencoder but more recent versions
don't allow for the creation of Encore compatible mpegs, which for the
moment, I'm stuck with. Good to know there's another option... So I
would use those options instead of :telecine or in addition to for a
soft telecine?

I may go back to the newer releases and try it with those options to see
if Encore will accept them.

MEncoder 1.0rc1-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz (Family: 15, Model: 4, Stepping: 8)
CPUflags: Type: 15 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2

Option mpegopts: Unknown suboption tele_src
Error parsing option on the command line: -mpegopts