[MEncoder-users] B-frames and GOP with MPEG-2 for DVD

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Jun 8 00:32:39 CEST 2007

Nico Sabbi wrote:
>> So why have a b frames option in the first place, if it only degrades
>> the quality?  For smaller encodes?
>
> supposedly for encodes targeting a low bitrate, but even in cases like
> that I've only seen overall image degradation with b-frames, both with
> lavc and with xvid, at any bitrate

I've had good experiences with them, overall, at fairly low bitrates
(about 0.1 bits per pixel). The important thing with lavc is to use a
vb_strategy so that you don't end up getting B-frames in high motion
scenes, which can look quite bad.

I don't typically do high-bitrate encoding, so I have no experience to
relate there.

-Corey