[MEncoder-users] B-frames and GOP with MPEG-2 for DVD

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Thu Jun 7 22:45:28 CEST 2007

Nicolas Hesler wrote:
> Nico Sabbi wrote:
>
>>Nicolas Hesler wrote:
>>

>>>Really??? Good to know.
>>>
>>>So, get rid of the vb_strategy thing too? This doesn't affect the GOP on
>>>2pass without B frames right?
>>>

>>vb_strategy affects only the placement of b-frames, and it's damn slow too
>>

> So why have a b frames option in the first place, if it only degrades
> the quality?  For smaller encodes?

supposedly for encodes targeting a low bitrate, but even in cases like
that I've only seen overall image degradation with b-frames, both with
lavc and with xvid, at any bitrate

> So as a rule, never use B-Frames unless you're concerned with space?

I never use b-frames _at_all_ , although with x264 b-frames maybe
aren't so harmful (or maybe they are even beneficial, but I never
tested the encoder extensively to say for sure)