[MEncoder-users] How to encode a DVD

Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto please.no.spam.here at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 15:14:46 CEST 2007

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 20:53:01 -0700
RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 19:17:14 -0300
> Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > precmp=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2
>
> This is a very bad idea.  Without postprocessing, on live-action
> material, that will cause the video to be extremely blocky.  Either
> use the default SAD (0) or DCT (3).
I took this from the page
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-enc-libavcodec.html
Thank you for the tip.
Maybe that page needs updating?
By the way, do you recommend SAD or DCT?

> If you have twolame installed, you just have to recompile mplayer to
> get -oac twolame.  For resampling, just use mencoder's built-in
> filters. -srate 44100 should work fine.
Thank you.
By the way, why does the
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-vcd-dvd.html page
recommend both srate and lavcresample? Isn't it redundant? By the way,
this redundancy confused me: I was thinking - what does srate
actually do?

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free. --Linus Torvalds