[MEncoder-users] How to encode a DVD

Jeff Clagg snacky at ikaruga.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 06:23:16 CEST 2007

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 08:53:01PM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 19:17:14 -0300
> Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> That's a huge waste of bits, and really not necessary.  I believe
> standard is 30, and I use keyint=60 myself, without problems.

Sure, it's costly, but I believe the standard is 15, and common practice
is 12. 30 may work on most players, but it's out of spec. I wouldn't
suggest authoring a DVD using keyint=60 just because it happens to work
fine on the player you own.

There's some threshold where you decide that a proper compliant DVD
isn't efficient enough for your needs, and you consider the fact that the
so-called DivX players are now going for under $50. They're guaranteed
to work fine with long GOPs. Why violate the DVD spec when you can just
move past it?