[MEncoder-users] VideoDVD 4:3 on widescreen 16:9

Andriy Babiy ABabiy at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 6 08:11:31 CEST 2007

> > > Could anyone confirm if this is possible to play 4:3 VideoDVD on
> > > widescreen 16:9 with correct aspect ratio?
> > > When a movie is AVI file, I can set "Fit Height" on my DVD player,
> > > and it will be played with correct aspect ratio 4:3; black lines
> > > will be added on both sides.
> > > But when I play VideoDVD with 4:3 content, none of the options can
> > > do the same; the movie is still played 16:9.
> >
> > Just set "monitoraspect=16:9" in your config file.  I tried to get
> > this automated, but core devs didn't want it.
>
> Much better to put "monitorpixelaspect=1", it'll work on any type of
> display - 4:3, 16:9, 16:10 (imho there are more 16:10 displays than
> 16:9).
>
> Anyway you are wrong, it has been automated for some time (about 2
> months ago, I think). Just remove all aspect-related parameters in your
> config and try latest mplayer, it assumes square pixel by default.

Thank you for replying!
I feel I didn't manage to express my question in a clear manner.
Everything is OK with the movie playback in mplayer. My question was if it
is possible to get 4:3 content displayed properly on a widescreen TV, when
the VideoDVD is played in a standalone DVD player. Can it be somehow
specified among mencoder or dvdauthor options? 16:9 looks great, 4:3 is
wider (actually I get 16:9 I think) than an original.

Thank you for advices!

Andriy