[MEncoder-users] SUB: Could not determine file format

Phil Oleynik Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Tue Jun 5 11:03:13 CEST 2007

Florian Erfurth wrote:
> Hi Phil, thank you for your quick response.
>
> Phil Oleynik wrote:
>

>> Florian Erfurth wrote:
>>
>>> [snip]
>>> I did try following command:
>>> mencoder -sws 9 -vf scale=480:256,harddup -sub /home/floh/temp/movie.sub
>>> -vf scale=480:256 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
>>> bitrate=768:vhq=1:max_bframes=0:cartoon -nosound
>>> /home/floh/temp/movie.avi -o /home/floh/temp/output.avi
>>>
>>> Unfortunatelly the subtitle from movie.sub doesn't appears in output.avi.
>>> If I look the output of mencoder, I see such error-message:
>>>
>>> SUB: Could not determine file format
>>> Cannot load subtitles: /home/floh/temp/movie.sub
>>> <<<
>>>
>> probably you lack .idx file with timings, languages, etc.
>>
> Oh, there is a .idx-file. But it still doesn't works (tried with the
> command, see in last post from me). How should I handle .sub & .idx in
> order to put into avi-movie? How should a mencoder+arguments look like? I
> thought my tried command is right, isn't it?
> Is it sufficient, if .avi, .sub and .idx files does have all the same
> filename (like movie.avi, movie.sub, movie.idx)? Maybe I'm missing somewhat
> (e.g. libraries?), huh?
>
> cu Floh

You do not need any additional libraries, vobsub subtitles are
uncompressed bitmaps.
To display them, say

       -vobsub <VOBsub file without extension>
              Specify  a VOBsub file to use for subtitles.  Has to be
the full
              pathname without extension, i.e. without the '.idx',
'.ifo'  or
              '.sub'.

This is a citation from manual.

Phil