[MEncoder-users] Timestamp on audio and video frames?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Jun 5 10:49:27 CEST 2007

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 09:23:13 +0200
Levente Novák <lnovak at dragon.unideb.hu> wrote:

> But why? Is not timestamp the exact time when a frame was grabbed?

No.  Timestamps are just relative values of the difference between
audio and video. eg. 0, 0.1, 0.2, etc. They have nothing to do with
real-world time.

> But as there are more audio samples than video ones, after a long
> while, there is a desync (video lag), but a non linear one.

That should not be happening at all, even with your CPU at 100%.

>   what is MEncoder doing without -mc0 and -noskip specified in order
>   to main- tain the sync?)

-mc should have no effect when capturing from a TV tuner card, only
when playing video/audio in a container like avi/mpeg.  I did not
realize that was your issue.