[MEncoder-users] How to encode a DVD

Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto please.no.spam.here at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 22:43:55 CEST 2007

Hi. I want to encode a DVD to be played in Brazil.
I have already read
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-vcd-dvd.html
but I have some doubts.

Some information about the movie I am encoding:
midentify opaio.avi
ID_VIDEO_ID=0
ID_AUDIO_ID=1
ID_CLIP_INFO_NAME0=Software
ID_CLIP_INFO_VALUE0=VirtualDubMod\ 1.5.10.2\ \(build\ 2542/release\)
ID_CLIP_INFO_N=1
ID_FILENAME=opaio.avi
ID_DEMUXER=avi
ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=XVID
ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=869808
ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=576
ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=304
ID_VIDEO_FPS=23.976
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=85
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=128000
ID_AUDIO_RATE=0
ID_AUDIO_NCH=0
ID_LENGTH=5829.78
ID_VIDEO_CODEC=ffodivx
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=128000
ID_AUDIO_RATE=48000
ID_AUDIO_NCH=2
ID_AUDIO_CODEC=mp3

The command line I passed to mencoder is:
mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -vf
scale=720:380,expand=720:480,harddup -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=6500:keyint=15:vstrict=0:acodec=ac3:abitrate=256:aspect=16/9
-ofps 24000/1001 -o opaio.mpg opaio.avi

You can see that I scaled it from 576x304 to 720x380, multiplying width
and height by 1.25. I then expanded to 720x480 to achieve NTSC
dimensions.

The problem is I don't have a DVD player to test it. I don't even have
a DVD drive in my PC (I'm creating a file and I will burn the DVD in a
friend's computer). I am burning this DVD for my girlfriend.

So I can only test by invoking mplayer on the generated file.
When I invoke mplayer on opaio.mpg (which is not finished yet), I can
see that the aspect is wrong. Will this play correctly on the hardware
DVD player?

If not, will I be able to correct the aspect of the movie without
completely reencoding it?

Another doubt: I live in Brazil; here we use PAL-M, which means PAL
color encoding with NTSC frequency and dimensions. Thus, our TV is 30
fps. This movie is 24000/1001 fps. I am leaving it at this frequency (I
am not resampling), hoping that a PAL-M player can play 24000/1001 fps.
Am I correct?

Thank you for your attention.

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free. --Linus Torvalds