[MEncoder-users] Convert 23.976 FPS NTSC to 25 FPS PAL

Grozdan Nikolov microchip at chello.be
Mon Jul 30 00:10:37 CEST 2007

On Sunday 29 July 2007 20:47, RC wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 11:25:53 +0200
>
> Grozdan Nikolov <microchip at chello.be> wrote:
> > Wow, I didn't knew it will be such a hard procedure to convert a video
> > from  ~30 fps to 25 fps.
>
> It's easy to get it down.  Just -ofps 25 will do it.  The problem is if
> you want to make it look smooth.
>
> > Can I use the pullup+softskip filters for this  with -ofps 24000/1001
> > ?
>
> Pullup is for telecined video.  It will do nothing at all to yours.

Ok, so I just tried out to bring it down to 23.976 fps with the pullup filter
despite the video being progressive 29.97 fps. It worked really well, no
jumps/stuttering in frames and no A/V desync. I think this video was
telecined and someone just ran a deinterlacer on it thinking it is interlaced
instead of telecined...

I used -vf pullup,softskip -ofps 24000/1001

Now if I can find out how to do a 2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:3 Pulldown to bring it
to 25 fps and avoid the 4% in sound pitch, that'll be great...