[MEncoder-users] Fwd: xvid and x264 libs not linked when ./configure --enable-x264 used

Peter Cordes peter at cordes.ca
Sun Jul 29 22:13:30 CEST 2007

(I decided to subscripe to the ML so I'll soon stop making replies that
break threading...)

The Wanderer wrote:
> Is there some reason you cannot simply check the output of configure,
> specifically the "enabled" and "disabled" sections at the end?

 I can, but I'd rather not have to make sure the key features are there
every time I update mplayer.  I like to write shell scripts that update my
installs of svn versions of things, so I could have an update-mplayer script
which updated x264, built it, installed it, updated mplayer, built it,
installed it.  I could run that monthly, or whenever I felt like.

 Granted, it's not very likely right now that I'll screw up and uninstall
the alsa dev packages or something, but I just like the idea of forcing a
few things to be enabled.  Since that's not what the --enable switches do,
and it's not a bug that they don't do what I want, I'll take your advice and
avoid them.

> The --enable options disable autodetection entirely; if you use one
> which requires particular compiler flags, you must manually specify them
> via configure options. Search for "extra" in the output of 'configure
> --help'.

> If compilation with --enable-* but without specifying additional compiler
> flags worked for you in that period, it was almost certainly pure luck.

 Yeah, I forgot that mplayer's configure script was like that, not like
autoconf...  Sorry.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter at cor , des.ca)