[MEncoder-users] harddup filter

Tobias Brockamp tobiasbrockamp at gmx.de
Mon Jul 23 13:57:43 CEST 2007

Am 23.07.2007 um 13:55 schrieb Grozdan Nikolov:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe a silly question but am I correct to assume that the
> 'harddup' filter
> should come before the 'crop' and 'scale' filters? eg,
>
>     -vf harddup,crop=720:544:0:16,scale=512:384:0:0
>
> The reason I ask is because when I start mencoder, I see the
> harddup filter is
> opened as the last one....

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-vcd-dvd.html

14.8.2.2. Maintaining A/V sync

In order to maintain audio/video synchronization throughout the
encode, MEncoder has to drop or duplicate frames. This works rather
well when muxing into an AVI file, but is almost guaranteed to fail
to maintain A/V sync with other muxers such as MPEG. This is why it
is necessary to append the harddup video filter at the end of the
filter chain to avoid this kind of problem. You can find more
technical information about harddup in the section Improving muxing
and A/V sync reliability or in the manual page.