[MEncoder-users] mencoder exhausts system memory while encoding MPEG2

Ryan T. Sammartino ryan.sammartino at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 16:42:10 CEST 2007

Nico Sabbi <nicola_sabbi <at> fastwebnet.it> writes:

> Ryan T. Sammartino wrote:
>
> >I am using
> >
> >MEncoder dev-SVN-r23715-4.1.2
> >
> >configured with
> >
> >./configure --prefix=/usr --confdir=/etc/mplayer --enable-largefiles
> >

> >I am trying to use mencoder to "burn in" some subtitles:
> >
> >mencoder video.vob -of mpeg -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> >acodec=ac3:abitrate=256:vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=7000:keyint=150 -ofps 24
> >-srate 48000 -sub subtitles.srt -subfont-autoscale 1 -subfont-osd-scale 4 -o
> >"video-with-subtitles.vob"
> >

> >Unfortunately, about 15% of the way through, mencoder starts using more
> >and more memory
> -mpegopts format=dvd

That fixed it... for a while.

Unfortunately, now with

MEncoder dev-SVN-r23839-4.1.2

using the same configuration and command-line (but including -mpegopts
format=dvd), I am observing the same behaviour on various other input files
(all MKV format with x264 video and ac3 audio).

Any other options that might mitigate memory usage?