[MEncoder-users] A few questions

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Jul 18 18:09:09 CEST 2007

On Wednesday, 18 July 2007 at 16:46, Misha Valera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using Debian Stable 64-bit and I was wondering if the
> MPlayer/MEncoder code is actually ported to this architecture to take
> advantages of it. I'm not talking about compiler flags or CPU optimizations
> in general, rather about the actual C code in MPlayer/MEncoder. How many of
> it is actually ported to the 64-bit architecture.

I'd say all of it. MPlayer has been 64bit-clean for a long time now.

> Further, are there any benefits in using a 64-bit compiled MEncoder instead
> of the 32-bit compiled one on a 64-bit architecture? Sorry for me being such
> a noob but I'm just starting to use MEncoder for encoding....

Well if you don't need some of the binary-only 32bit codecs then I'd say
use the 64bit version. It should be at least as fast as the 32bit code.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://mplayerhq.hu http://rpm.livna.org