[MEncoder-users] Does MEncoder has issues with AAC audio encoding?

Grozdan Nikolov microchip at chello.be
Sun Jul 15 23:27:49 CEST 2007

On Sunday 15 July 2007 01:16, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Grozdan Nikolov wrote:

> >>as far as I can hear the distortions are simply channels mismatches:
> >>the channel ordering for aac is unspecified (IIRC), but surely
> >>it's not the same as the one that mplayer uses (ac3), so if you
> >>use -af pan to remap the channels you should hear all right.
> >>In order to do a fair comparison can you try to encode one of the
> >>trailer samples in incoming (e.g. VanHelsing.ts, but there are others
> >>with >2 channels) and report what you find?
> >
> > Where can I find incoming? Sorry, I'm a bit new to the MEncoder list
>
> sorry, I meant samples/ in Mplayer's ftp

Ok, here's what I did so far. I downloaded the latest version of MPlayer today
from SVN (MEncoder SVN-r23784). I then downloaded the Van Helsing and Hellboy
samples from the FTP server and encoded them to H.264+AAC 4 channels audio.
No distortions AT ALL! I then encoded ~70 seconds of a DVD here (War Of The
Worlds) which used to have a lot of distortions in its audio at the beginning
when using AAC... Again no distortions AT ALL here

the audio command line parameters I used are

-oac faac -faacopts mpeg=4:quality=100:object=2 -channels 4

I'm using FAAC 1.25 here (default from my distro). So, did anything changed
recently in MEncoder? Since I'm not hearing any distortions anymore I assume
something changed. I can upload the War Of The Worlds sample so you can hear
for yourself that the distortions are gone now