[MEncoder-users] Noise reduction and interlacing: (hq)denoise3d vs. nr

Pierre Catello pierre.catello at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 20:50:45 CEST 2007

2007/7/2, Nico Sabbi <nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it>:

> >>bad idea, better use -vf il=d,hqdn3d,il=i
> >>

> >I trust you, but could you explain why il=d,...,il=i is a better way ?
> >

> they mess with the framerate, and btw, try to see what happens :)

tfields doubles the framerate but tinterlace should halves it.
I just checked  with a large spatial filter such that its effect would be
obvious :
$ mencoder "RFID.mpg" -nosound -endpos 30 -v
f tfields=0,denoise3d=10:0:0:0,tinterlace -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:ildct:ilme:vqscale=2 -o "RFID.avi"

The result is as expected, and the framerate is right.

fil=d,hqdn3d,fil=i,softskip should be faster, but the man page says
> that it could crash

May be your "implementation" is the way to go and is faster, but I was
simply trying to help the original poster and the point I was addressing was
the effect of a spatial filter on interlaced content (in addition to a
question regarding lavc internal denoising filter vs hqdn3d).
My suggestion was may be a bad idea as you mentionned, I'm sorry and surely
won't do that again...

P.