[MEncoder-users] 3 passes encoding failures.

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Jan 30 23:30:00 CET 2007

DEF wrote:

> I thought at one time, they told us that three pass encoding is
> deprecated. So this is not more the case, right?

Depends what you mean.

frameno (that is, -ovc frameno, and the resulting frameno.avi) is
deprecated, is not recommended, and will not necessarily work correctly.
The version of three-pass encoding which goes '1: -ovc frameno, 2:
-*opts pass=1, 3: *opts pass=2' is deprecated and is not supposed to be
used.

However, there is another technique which is also referred to as
three-pass encoding. In it, you run the first encode using -lavcopts
pass=1, and then run the second (and third, fourth, fifth, as many as
you want) pass using -lavcopts pass=3. This technique is not deprecated,
and indeed can be a very good idea for achieving maximum quality per
unit bitrate if you're willing to invest enough time and CPU power into
the process.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.