[MEncoder-users] Suggestions invited for encoder options for varying qualities

Joe Emenaker joe at emenaker.com
Sat Jan 27 01:47:44 CET 2007

I'm tinkering with a script... intended to be a front-end to mencoder to
make it easier to use. Yeah, yeah... you hear this once a month, I
know....  here's what I intend mine to do:

Basically, you'd provided up to four bits of info to the script:
 - A list of input sources (ie, dvd://1, pr0n.avi, goldfinger.mp4...
whatever)
 - A destination device or format (ie, "ipod", "psp", "treo", "vcd", etc.)
    this would determine container, codecs, resolution, color-depth, and
possibly frame-rate
 - A preference regarding the file-size/quality tradeoff (ie, "basic",
"good", "extreme"...)
    this would determine bitrate
 - A preference regarding the encoding-time/quality tradeoff (ie,
"quick", "normal", "extreme"...)
    this would determine encoding parms like, number of passes, and
other options like maybe vhq?, qpel?, etc.

I'm in need of the community's input in two areas:

First, I'd like to get a consensus regarding which options for *each*
codec library (ie, lavcopts, x264opts, xvidencopts, faacopts, etc) fall
into the size-versus-quality category (any other than bitrate?) and
which are in the encoding-time-versus-quality category. Furthermore, I'd
like to know which ones everyone feels should be turned on or off for
"quick", "normal", "extreme", etc. preferences.

Secondly, I'd like some input on strategies for determining bitrates for
the various target devices. I'm currently thinking of two ways to do
this. 1) Estimate suitable bitrates based solely upon resolution,
color-depth, and codec, or 2) Actually have some "normal" bitrate for
each target device and then "basic" or "extreme" would be some
percentage higher or lower than the normal one. A few weeks ago, it was
mentioned that bitrate, instead of varying directly with the number of
the resolution, is better varying with the square-root of the
resolution. Is this still considered barely suitable, or is this a
fairly good strategy when compared with the hassle of manually
determining a good bitrate for every target device?

Lastly, as an aside, does anybody want to suggest good terms to use for
the various qualities (ie, basic/good/extreme, or low/medium/high, or
1/2/3, etc.)? And how many quality levels should there be? 3? 5?

- Joe