[MEncoder-users] bitrate or media problem?

Eduardo Gargiulo egargiulo at users.sf.net
Fri Jan 26 15:17:23 CET 2007

Hi all,

I've got a DVD (DVD9) from which I want to make a new DVD (DVD5) with only
two or three titlesets (music videos). First of all I made an iso image of
the original DVD and then mount it on the filesystem

$ dd if=/dev/hdc of=dvd9.iso
$ mount -oloop dvd9.iso /media/dvd9

Then, for testing purposes, I made an mpeg-ps file (dvdauthor requirement)
from one of the videos using mencoder

$ mencoder /media/dvd9/video_ts/vts_16_1.vob \
           -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd     \
           -oac copy -ovc copy video16.mpg

dvdauthor complains on make the new dvd directly from the original VOB
file. Then, after run dvdauthor I burn the image on a CD-RW media (not a
DVD for testing purposes). The problem is that when I play it on my
standalone DVD player
on some scenes the audio and video are not sync or the image slows down.

Could be a media problem? Should I try to burn directly on a DVD-R media?
The original DVD plays without problem in the same DVD player and as far
as I know, I haven't modified the video parameters (bitrate, compression,
size, etc) with the mencoder command descripted above.

Any hint would be appreciated,

--ejg @sf.net