[MEncoder-users] mencoder very slow in windows?

Pepe rvm3000 at ya.com
Wed Jan 17 00:27:27 CET 2007

My computer is a AMD Athlon 64 2 GHz and I use linux (SuSE 9.2 compiled for
i586).

I can recode a 42 minute video with mencoder (xvid) in about 20 minutes
(about 40 fps).

I tried just a moment ago to recode a similar video in my sister's laptop (AMD
Turion 64, 2 GHz) using windows xp media center. This is the first time that
I use mencoder in windows. I used exactly the same options that I use in
linux, encoding to xvid too, and using the same version of mencoder (1.0rc1).

I was amazed that it was extremely slow. I had to stop it, the estimated time
was between 90 and 120 minutes, encoding about 9-13 fps.

What makes that big difference?

--
Pepe