[MEncoder-users] MEncoder segfault

Grozdan Nikolov microchip at chello.be
Tue Jan 16 23:17:15 CET 2007

Hi,

I'm experiencing strange behavior with MEncoder (1.0rc1) when encoding to XviD
(lib version 1.1.2). The problem is that MEncoder segfaults after encoding a
few minutes of content. At first, I thought that there was something wrong
with my system/memory so I ran Memtest86 and it couldn't find any problems
here. Then I recompiled both XviD and MPlayer, but still the same issue here.
Then I thought it might be the IDE cable of the DVD drive so I replaced it,
but again the problem remains. After that I copied the contents of the DVD to
disk and tried to encode it from there... same issue, I always get a segfault
after a few minutes of encoding. I tried to encode different DVDs, but still
same issue. I also tried to compile MPlayer with --enable-debug but it fails
to compile that way

a few seconds before segfaulting, MEncoder prints a few times that there's a
CRC error in audio resampling (liba52) and then it segfaults. I'm pulling my
hair here and I cannot track down this problem

I have read access to /dev/rtc (chmod 644 /dev/rtc) and user frequency
in /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq is set to 1024. I didn't had this issue on
my previous system (openSUSE 10.1) but sience I installed openSUSE 10.2,
MEncoder always segfaults no matter what I do... here are some specs of my
machine

P4 at 2.4 GHz
512 MB DDR333
openSUSE 10.2
Linux infobase 2.6.18.2-34-default #1 SMP Mon Nov 27 11:46:27 UTC 2006 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
GCC: 4.1.2